Friday, May 27, 2011

Scary Day

So Wednesday was such a weird/scary day. Daniel was going to Lowe's to buy some wood to build a new headboard for our new bed. He was strapping the wood to the top of our car with a bungy (sp?) cord when the cord snapped back and hit him in the eye/forhead. He doesn't remember anything after that, but I witnessed my husband acting as if he had brain damage or something. He called me several times repeating over and over that he got hit in the face and couldn't see and he was at Lowe's in Hutto. He would talk for a while then hang up, the whole time not seeming to hear anything I said. I wanted to go pick him up, but he had taken the car with both carseats in it and I felt a little trapped. Jada happened to call during all this and was just down the street at HEB, so she drove over and watched my kids for me while I went to find Daniel. The last thing he told me was he didn't know where he was but he saw a wagon and a flag. The only place I could think of was The Salt Lick, which is on the way from Lowe's to our house. I headed that direction and intercepted Daniel at a Fire Station nearby. He had parked the car in the middle of the street, still running, and was walking around toward the fire station. I ran after him calling his name, but he never could hear me. I fireman came up just as I got his attention, and we both tried to figure out if Daniel was ok. Daniel continued to repeat himself saying he was hit in the face and was trying to find his way home but didn't know how to get there. I was really scared at this point but so happy to be with him. Although he kept forgetting I was there and telling the fireman to call his wife. He reminded me of that guy from 50 First Dates who forgets everything after like, 60 seconds and just keeps repeating himself. I felt so bad for him- he was shaking and seemed so confused! He had a hard time answering very simple questions, so they called an ambulance and took him to the ER.

By the time he got to the hospital, he was so much better and he checked out fine. Apparently he had a concussion though nothing came up on the scan and his eye was scratched up. He still doesn't remember anything between getting hit and ending up sitting in the fire station, but is perfectly normal other than that. I witnessed God taking care of our family that day. Jada never shops at HEB but just happened to be in the parking lot when I needed her. Aimee Hill happened to stop by to get something from Jada, so she was able to bring Asher to the hospital for me to feed him, Daniel was completely out of it, but drove a good distance without killing himself or anybody else. I treasure my husband so much and was reminded of how much I love him. That wouldn't change no matter what, but I'm sure glad he has full brain function!

No comments:

Post a Comment